• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which magazines do you read?

I used to get magazines but then the Internet came along. I mean, why bother? :)

Wanna read about computer games? Millions of web magazines online for it.

Wanna read about science? Millions of web magazines for it such as Discovery channels own web site along with Nature, Scientific America, and New Scientist. And those are but a few.

Wanna read about movies? There are millions.

And so on and so on. So I just stopped as I can find everything I want to read about online :) I don't really go anywhere so don't need a magazine for being on the move. I always have my mp3 player or I take my book to read!

SillyWabbit said:
I used to get magazines but then the Internet came along. I mean, why bother? :)

Naw. I'm on the computer for a LIVING. I like to spend my free time with tactile things, like books and print magazines. It's why I don't buy e-books. Maybe someday, but right now, my eyes get tired looking at the screen for too long.

Cathy

I'm in agreement with Cathy. It's just not practical for me to read everything I want to read on a computer (periodicals and books). It is in another room and limits my supervision of my animals...I mean, kids. ;) And I can't tuck the computer into the little pocket in the van door to be read later when I find myself waiting. And I can't take the computer outside with my when it is a nice day and the animals, oops, kids, are out there. It also can be a bit cumbersome to read in bed on a computer. I think my hubby would get more than a little irritated with all the clicking while he's trying to sleep....
And another thing, a lot of magazines require a subscription anyway to access ALL of their articles as well and archives (rather than a select few for free). I'd just as soon have a hard copy.

Which magazines do I read....

Empire (UK film mag)
Marie Claire
Heat (cheesy showbiz goss mag :D)

I have subscriptions to the first two.

If I'm Stateside I usually get US Cosmopolitan; I'm not keen on the UK version.

The only magazine I read on a regular basis is Car-i-ca-ture. It's a great magazine about the art of caricature.

mags

My only long standing subscription is to Roadracing World & Motorcycle Technologies

I just subscribed to Money also.
Maybe it'll help me make some. :rolleyes:

I'm getting Mental Floss now. It has assorted tidbits of trivial information and is pretty interesting.

Sometimes I'll pick up a copy of Archaeology magazine at the bookstore...the articles can be pretty good-but not always. I also had a subscription to Renaissance magazine (haven't been able to find that at any newsstand or bookstore) and it's actually a really good magazine. :eek:

well since finding this great site all the good book recommendations have put these mags aside

Utne
Mother Jones

somehow though when i'm over at my parents house i find the time to glance through People or what i call it celebrities walking

but then again this is mags you read so that does not count

I love my subscriptions.

Utne.
Newsweek.
National Geographic.

Interestingly enough, NG has info in it this month that coincides with the book I'm reading... Now that I think of it - the newest Utne has an article that coincides with my boyfriend's current book as well. I think I shall keep both subscriptions. I love when that happens.

I have been thinking on getting Harper's and/or Atlantic Monthly - does anyone have any cons to subscribing to either?

I was hoping for something a little more personal. Is it political, news, music, general fluff, entertainment, religious, from Europe.....

With the cover having a big, giant GOD and FAITH on it I got a little scared and clicked the "X" so as not to hurt my eyes..... ;)

Can somebody just give me a warm and fuzzy breakdown of what the mag's all about?

Sorry, I'm still feeling my way around here. I should've been more specific.

Basically, it pulls articles from various alternate press and prints 'em all in one happy magazine. The first issue I purchased focused on being childless by choice and how to be a better listener. Closer to the US elections, it discussed how to be a better activist. Recently, they did an article on up and coming graphic authors (i.e. comic writers/illustrationists - I hope I'm using the proper term).

So, I would say it's fairly general that bounces all over the place - self-improvement, making a difference, environmentalism, etc. I would also say it leans more toward the American left with politics.

If you can see past the cover art and skim through the table of contents of this issue, http://www.utne.com/pub/ , I think it'll give you a better idea. My favorite article so far this issue has been "How to write a sex scene" - funny stuff.

Playboy & Vanity Fair

I read my boyfriend's Playboys. :p I love the articles!!!

I also read his mother's issues of Vanity Fair.

Only magazine I subscribe to is Adbusters. Sometimes its a bit over the top, but I love a lot of the articles they pick up, and the way they're willing to attack everyone both left and right. Also the design of the magazine is always top notch and really interesting.

i love music and tend to read Spin and Under the Radar. i know, i'm kinda too old for it, but there's just something about independent rock and roll...

Back