• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which magazines do you read?

The New Yorker, though it can get samey if you read every issue cover to cover. Generally, the fiction excerpts are great.

The New York Observer, which is really a weekly newspaper, but it's got great writing.

Vanity Fair, again the standard of writing is really high. Plus I love Dominick Dunne. But I don't subscribe to that, just pick it up occasionally.

Scientific American, which is so far ahead of the rest of the press and manages to take the best from scientific journals and make it readable. The editing at SciAm is the best in the world, IMO. (I used to edit journals on neural networks and artificial intelligence, among other things.)

Skeptical Inquirer
Free Inquiry
Scientific American
National Geographic
Natural History
American History
Military Heritage

I've had a subscription to the New Yorker my WHOLE life. I fact. my grandmother was one of the first subscribers back in the 20s (?) and eveyone in my family has been getting it ever since. I also have a subscription to the NYRB which I don't really read much anymore, but hey it's about books and I like the really long reviews. For news I pick up the Economist from time to time, of course it has it's biases, but I like the short articles and the global coverage. I used to get a whole whack of knitting magazines, but I'm not knitting so much anymore, so I never bother.

buddi

I read "Smithsonian" every month. I also get Country Living. And am just now getting back into reading "Mother Jones". Right now, I go to the web site.

Once and awhile, I will read Vogue. I glance through a lot of magazines when I am in lines. That the way I remain patient.

I look at the pictures in Architectural Digest. It's never about building design, but does show you how to position your drapes and what kinds of fabric look good together. Plus you get to see Ted Kennedy's bedroom and Claudia Schiffer's bathroom and stuff. Everyone seems to have loads of half-filled bookshelves (I wish!) and stacks of books strewn around for decoration. Very funny. :rolleyes:

Think I'm going to let my New Yorker run out and subscribe to Popular Science, Discover, Scientific American, or something.

I've noticed that most girls my age get Dolly and Girlfriend but I think they're ridiculous - besides, my Mum gets enough dumb magazines like Who and New Idea to satisfy me when I feel like reading junk.

Instead of Dolly and Girlfriend, I get Reader's Digest, and collect old ones. I think they're great. The jokes are funny, the stories are thoughtful and the sections about health, technology, etc., are really cool. Honestly, who could waste valuable reading time on anything else??? :D

FHM, LOADED, MAXIM et al. are all absolutely terrible.

Most of the mags I read are surf-related - Surfer Magazine, The Surfer's Path and Riptide, but I think Time is great, so is Rolling Stone and Empire is without a doubt the world's greatest movie magazine.

Just picked up a copy of Biblical Archaeology Review. I really liked it, informative and stuff. I'm going to subscibe to it today.

I get two quilting magazines, one of which I am going to let run out (just need to decide which one). I just subscribed to National Geographic and I am considering Bookmarks or Pages.

I get too many to even list here, but a few include:

Archaeology
Discover
National Geographic
Readers Digest
Texas Monthly
Mother Earth News
Rocky Mountain Game & Fish
Realms of Fantasy
bunches of different gun magazines
Popular Science
The Writer
Writer's Digest

etc., etc., etc.

All in all, probably 30 total. :eek: Some monthly, others bi- or quarterly and then the ones I pick up off the shelf if the cover strikes me. I used to get more, but then I started to alternate things like Discover with Scientific American or Omni, etc., rather than taking them all.

Wish I had time to read them all every month... :eek:

Cathy

Back