• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

I have to agree with the readers who like Robin Hobb. Her writing is almost musical without being purple, and she tells a darn good story.

I also like David Brin and Charles de Lint and George R.R. Martin... :)

After a lot of reading, it is still my favorite three:

Vladimir Nabokov, for wonderfully layered stories, humor, literary style.

Virginia Woolf, for extraordinary stream of consciousness, elegant writing.

John Banville, for all of the above, in his own way.

It can change depending on the day or my mood, but I have to say Anita Brookner consistently delivers for me. I enjoy her studies of people in mid-life, often living in London, with nothing much to do and to whom nothing much happens. But the joy they find in the day-to-day is endearing. I admire her ability to keep the reader engaged with little or no action, and only the sparsest dialogue. She won the Booker for Hotel du Lac in 1984 but my favorite is Lewis Percy.

Jonas Gardell

I have been really fond of the Swedish author Jonas Gardell for several years now. He is one of the most known novel writer in Sweden at the moment.

Three of my favourite books by him are a part of a trilogy that is abou a boy called Juha and a girl called Jenny. The first book is called En Komikers Uppväxt and it is about Juha who is a very bullied and insecure boy. His only friend is a girl called Jenny who's also bullied. Jenny is secretly in love with Juha but he despise her and as soon as he gets a better "deal" with someone else he leaves her. Jenny is aware of this fact.

This book ALWAYS makes me cry, and it is the only book that has ever made me cry. It is such a sad story about Juha and Jenny. Jonas Gardell was very bullied when he was a child and this is some kind of fiction biography about his childhood. It is the most beautiful book I have ever read.

The other part of the series is called Ett Ufo Gör Entré and it is about Juha and Jenny when they are in their teenage years. It is basically the same situation although this book is so much darker. I cry a lot when I read this book as well... :(

The third and final part is simply called Jenny. The other two books has mostly been about Juha and his point of view of life. Jenny is, like you might have guessed, about Jenny. It is the darkest book of them all and it is so tragic. I have only read this book once so I don't remember much but lord, I just feel so much for those poor people. I just want to take care of them and save them from the world. These books have had a HUGE impact on my life.

The Devil and Miss Prym by Paolo Coelho this is my favorite author and if you wanted to know why just read the story.

Michael Connelly - My favorite mystery writer

David Baldacci - His books are fast pace and enjoyable to read

J.R.R Tolkien - All of his work is a masterpiece.

Ian Fleming, who wrote a particular series of novels from 1953 thru 1964...

Why? Because he brought a newspaperman's briskly ironic craftsmanship to the realm of escapist adventure fiction. Because, like the pro he was, he cranked out a novel every winter, which he spent in Jamaica, at his oceanfront estate Goldeneye, to escape the climate of his native Great Britain. Because he designed his hero, initially, to be an essentially mysterious figure whom the action of the narrative carried along. Because he showed me---at the tender age of 11---just how electrifying the printed word can be.

His character? You might have heard of him...Bond. James Bond :cool: Don't confuse Fleming's Bond with the endlessly diverse interpretations seen on the big screen. Read them for yourself...

Back to the topic :)
Mine is Grisham and Anne Rice. I think that Rice paints poignant imagery and it helps that her characters are so sexual and sensual that it leaves you with a certain impression that you can't shake.

Grisham, well, his endings suck, but he can tell a great story.

My favourite author is Patricia Highsmith. It used to be Jane Austen, but just recently (as I'm reading back through all of Highsmith's) I've decided that she's my favourite. I think she's very underrated. There is something claustrophobic and bizzare about her books, and the more I read them, the more I see in them.

Back