• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

why did you join the book forum?

I joined TBF because it made me laugh. Well actually, I wanted to join a forum that talks about books. Then I came here and saw that the members were nuts! They were hilarious and I love the camaraderie (most of them have left now).

Anyway I talk rubbish when I can. :)

ds

leckert said:
No...

Is it a tale of dung beetles, or elephant crap?

:D

Dung beetles. I kid you not!

I'll display a couple of them on the Writer's Showcase as proof (maybe today).

I may try to polish them up a bit first, but if I go there, there is no telling how long I will be gone.

;)

What other group of people would have me simultaneously searching out copies of Plato, Oryx and Crake and Krakatoa -- and all before before sunup?

StillILearn said:
What other group of people would have me simultaneously searching out copies of Plato, Oryx and Crake and Krakatoa -- and all before before sunup?

Not to mention dung beetles! What a wonderful place, this TBF!

I came across this forum when I was looking for a forum about the Pellinor books that would let me join.When I saw this and realized it talked about lots of books that I have read I joined and it is completley AWESOME!!!!

I joined because I needed some external motivation to get my arse up out of the couch.

I write and read and do some art. I didn't want to join an online writing club because I don't want to share my work online. I belonged to a real writing club and though it was a good experience, I think I squeezed all I needed out of it. I've visited writing forums and they're not for me. I keep reading the same stuff over and over again.

I want to read more, but I hate to read in isolation. I need to read and discuss what I read with other people. In that respect, I'm a people-person. In other respects, I hate people. LOL!

I found this forum through a simple Google search.

I love books, and nobody around my circle reads like I do. So, I wanted to be around people like me.:)

Even though I started off with HF , this forum has inhanced my reading choices.:)

I joined because I was hoping to find an english book forum like the one I used to attend to in Germany.

Those are two pretty poor reasons to join a book forum, don't you think?

On the surface...yes.

However, I have joined some forums in the past because friends recommended them. For example, I knew nothing about volleyball, being a football and basketball fan. But a friend invited me to join a particular volleyball forum. I did because I was good friends with her. But little by little, I got to know the sport and eventually, I went to several actual collegiate volleyball matches. I loved it! I loved it so much, I gave up football to make more bandwidth for volleyball. This would be a great real life story with a real life message, but after about 4 years, I got tired of volleyball. LOL! Now, I don't even frequent that volleyball forum and my friend has moved on to t-shirt dyeing, something I will NEVER touch.

I love to read and really want to get back into reading more. I am currently finishing up my Master's in Secondary Ed, so my free time is limited. Hopefully I'll be able to join in soon and read the book of the month.

I joined because i have no one to talk to about books, apperantly not many crust punk/death metal people read..who knew...:p

I am somewhat interested to see what some folks answer may be :)

I joined this book forum 8 years ago because I am an army wife, I move every 3 years, sometimes there's great book groups where I am and sometimes not. I joined this forum in particular because the vast range of members from many different countries, of a varied age range and all walks of life. Not only did I get great, unusual books to throw on my TBR pile, but I could read completely different takes on a book during the discussion on it.

I have tended to come and go over the years, as life had gotten busy or drama has gotten high here. I have enough hard issues in real life that I don't look for them online. It is nice that when I get on the forum there is almost always something/someone familiar. I tend to read more than I post as I am always looking for a good book. I do not write reviews or get into debates, I am more of a hobby reader and collector :)

A few other tidbits that I think are interesting about myself

-I will try any book, food or hair color at least once. I love all kinds of books, food and color!

- for 3 years I was the "library lady" in Germany. I did preschool story time and school age book groups complete with activities & crafts.

-I currently work at a county animal shelter doing rehabilitation & rescue of severely abused and neglected dogs. I almost always have a furry house guest or 7.

-I up cycle old furniture and decor. I was the manager of a thrift store, which allowed more up cycling but sadly it closed in December so now my garage is lonely.

-I garden haphazardly, one of the downfalls of moving is adjusting to different climates.

-I am old fashioned, I love old stuff and am "technology challenged".

- I married my HS sweetheart a bit over 17 years ago, we still are best friends, our only child turned 16 today.

Hi Ronny,
Liked your post very much. I could quote large parts of it for my self and my own interests, but won't.

Instead I've resurrected my own response from 8 years ago upthread. Not much has changed.

Jenn,
This is an equal-opportuniity post echoing the one I just posted to a similar question by chewlianchillz, now that I have noticed your earlier thread.

Books are what brought me, after recommendation by a friend. I read quite a bit, because I have the time, and I like to talk with congenial people about whatever is of mutual interest.

i have left other forums because the political and religious mudslinging was just out of all bounds. So, even though I am interested in politics and religion, I am glad to see that they are not topics here because I have seen the ignorant and vicious exchanges they can lead to.

I have found this to be a very congenial place, despite the hints I see of rough spots that might have occurred, and I expect I will be here for a long time.

So, the forum is definitely 'on topic' for my interests :)
Nice knowing you all,
Peder

By now the friend who recommended me to BAR and I are married.

I have met many interesting and lively people and had very enjoyable book conversations with them. Sadly they are all gone by now, as well as almost every name I recognize in the earlier posts in this thread.

The "ignorant" remark applies to remarks in other forums (as stated); it is not something I would say about anyone here.

My own reading interests have diverged from the generality of books of interest here, so I am now following my own reading track and have little to add here. (Although the pace keeps up: 46 books so far in 34 weeks).

My interests have tipped more in the favor of real life, so I am tapering down my participation here, (as I have mentioned several times), but always hope to remain a member.

Apart from those updates, my close remains the same as before:
Nice knowing you all,
Peder

Back