• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you are afraid to post about.

Gem said:
Great thread Kookamoor (i know everyones already said that but what the hell)

I love Stephen King and Richard Laymon.

But my deepest darkest secret.....the Sweet Valley High books....I can't believe I said that out aloud :eek: . I know their rubbish but its like an addiction if I see one I just have to read it, when its finished I think 'what crap, i'm too old for this' but the next time I see another one it starts all over ....help!

OH GEM!!! i almost posted about the sweet valley high books and even though this is a no fear thread, i couldn't help to feel a little nervous......i loved them too...read them throughout jr. high......
wow...sweet sweet freedom!

stewart, you're my best friend!

i also really like margaret laurence books...my fave was the stone angel.

i also really liked the world according to garp.

i love anything written by roddy doyle. i think he is hysterical!

I usually read a couple of Danielle Steel books every year, I usually read few trashy books to give me relax to read, nothing heavy. I like Danielle Steel, I admit.

I very much enjoy post-apocalyptic novels. Since they come under the broad heading of "Fantasy/Science Fiction" I figure they get a bad rap for the same reason Stephen King and Harry Potter do. They're too much fun, and they are the kind of thing they'd never make you read in school - instead, you have to read The Scarlet Letter or Crime and Punishment, which you never realize how great they are when you are forced to read them.
But back to post-apocalyptic novels - The Stand is way up there, Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven is too, but my favorite of all time in this genre is Earth Abides, by George R. Stewart.

ricky:
OH GEM!!! i almost posted about the sweet valley high books and even though this is a no fear thread, i couldn't help to feel a little nervous......i loved them too...read them throughout jr. high......
wow...sweet sweet freedom!

LOL, great to know i'm not the only one... :D

KristoCat said:
Anyone here read The Princess Bride? Even better than the movie! I LOVED it!!! :D
No, but I just watched the movie for the first time 2 weeks ago and adored it!! Why doesn't Cary Elwes look like the 'as you wish' guy all the time, rather than the smarmy guy he usually plays? :confused: :D I'll have to find the book, if you reckon it's better than the movie!

the book is great, just as romantic and funny as the movie. i know what you mean about cary, outside that movie, blegh!!

i borrowed a copy of the stand to read again. after i recommended it to stewart i got worried that he might read it and then i'd have to talk about it, it's been years since i read it. i hope i still like it. LOL.

I will have to get the book, I loved the movie although it's been years since I saw it last. I really like to read historical fiction with a romantic twist, there I got that off my chest, whew. The Outlander series, Feast of All Saints, The Birth of Venus, there's plenty more.

I'd say that the book is even better than the movie, because you get full background stories on more of the characters, like Inigo and Fezzik, and you also get to read about the princess Humperdink almost married before he went to look at Buttercup. It's all very enjoyable :)

I see people shamelessly looking in the Erotica section of Borders without a care in the world! It shares a corner with the horror books too and when I look in the horror section I always get uncomfortable in case people think i'm trying to look at 'Ezmarelda's Punishment' or 'Mr Whip's school for bad girls'. Which i'm not... Honest. I'm looking at Richard Laymon and Bentley Little which is possibly only marginally less embarassing!

I know that wasn't completly on topic, but if people can look at stuff like that in Borders, there's really no need to be embarassed about posting in here!

lenny does a really great little smut review here if you are interested in looking without being looked at. :) his reviews are very tastfully done, and fun to read too.

Another book I didn't dare to post was "War in the land of Egypt", not because of the book itself but because of the name of the author, but he was around long before those murderers were and has nothing to do with them.

Wow! Look at you all! Fearlessly posting in the book-related section! I'm so proud! And to show my support I'll share with you a book of questionable literary value that I have a genuine soft spot for: The Phantom, by Susan Kay. It is the story-behind-the-story of The Phantom of the Opera, from his birth, to his travels across Europe and points east, to the building of the Opera House, through the well-known section of his tale, to his death. It's not particularly original, seems to have been published to capitalize on the success of the stage musical, and it isn't anything I'd recommend to anyone, but I thought it was a rollicking good page-turner, and something that fed my occasional need to read chick-lit.

Now that this thread includes a mention of erotica, I can express my doubts that I could post about some of the books I'm reading professionally, since one of my niches seems to have become editing sex manuals. As background for this task, I've been reading a lot about sexology. Even some of the titles might be unsuitable for the Currently Reading field.

P.S. And on a slightly related note, could I really post about how I like Moby Dick because of its homoeroticism?

Mari said:
Now that this thread includes a mention of erotica, I can express my doubts that I could post about some of the books I'm reading professionally, since one of my niches seems to have become editing sex manuals. As background for this task, I've been reading a lot about sexology. Even some of the titles might be unsuitable for the Currently Reading field.

P.S. And on a slightly related note, could I really post about how I like Moby Dick because of its homoeroticism?

Personally, I think it would be great if you posted how you really liked the homoeroticism of "Moby Dick." It might lead to an interesting discussion of how homosexuality was addressed in literature in the pre-Stonewall days.

Back