• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

You don't give any information as to your age or anything in your profile...

but I can't imagine you can't find a free copy to borrow from somebody you know? A friend, co-worker, or neighbor. If you are an avid reader you can read this book in a few days or quicker depending on time available. Check flea markets and garage sales in your area....something...there's a ga-zillion copies floating around the world...somebody you know has it....I'm sure of it.

Wabbit said:
Ran into this article called The Da Vinci Decoded about the truths and untruths of Dan Brown's novel.

It seems funny to me that all these people come out and talk the untruths of his novel like it's news, when Dan Brown himself has stressed that it's a work of fiction.

Dan Brown said:
FACT:
The Priory of Sion?a European secret society founded in 1099?is a real organization. In 1975, Paris's Bibliothèque Nationale discovered parchments known as Les Dossiers Secrets, identifying numerous members of the Priory of Sion, including Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Leonardo da Vinci.

All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate.

Dan Brown has stressed that his "amazing research" is correct.

That is certainly a completely misleading statement that Dan Brown deserves full knocks for IMO. Les Dossiers Secrets were a hoax.

But I have a problem with some of these rebuttal sites and how much emphasis they place on Pierre Plantard. His "PoS" only proves that he used the "Priory" name. It does not disprove the fact that a secret society such as PoS could still be in existence.

It's the unfortunate catch of a conspiracy theory, there's no real way to "disprove" or "prove" it.

For an example that may make my point clearer, let's say there was some quack group who wanted to re invade Vietnam. And that thier special document was a fraudalent confession of the assasination of JFK attributed to Clay Bertrand, and they called themselves the Grassy Knoll society or something.

None of that would impeach the possibility that there was truly a conspiracy to kill Kennedy, nor would the false document at all prove Clay Bertrand was not part of that conspiracy, or the name that there weren't also shots fired from the grassy knoll.

But it's that exact sort of leap that the rebuttal sites seem to want to make about PoS based on Plantard's group.

Does anyone understand what I am saying here? It's not for love of Dan Brown, but just sort of trying to be logical about the whole topic in general.

And I'm not attached to the idea of PoS still existing either, tracing from the actual ancient society, I just hate when words like "proof" get thrown around incorrectly. Pierre Plantard is proof of nothing but his own foolishness IMO.

Almost NONE of the above is meant for statement of fact either BTW, I'm playing with hypotheticals, so, they're only meant to be hypotheticals.

interesting book

Darren Lewis said:
I finished reading this a few days ago. Has anyone else read it? What do you think about it?

Darren.
i read dan vici code out of curiosity coz of the hype it has created!
n founf it really well writtn and interesting book!
:)

adity said:
i read dan vici code out of curiosity coz of the hype it has created!
n founf it really well writtn and interesting book!
:)

Hi adity, welcome to the forum. And, to everyone else, I rest my case.

Is it really necessary to make fun of somebody to make your case? I think we all know how you feel about the Da Vinci Code. Didn't we have a thread going on being rude and how we should all get along? :)

What was your case again? That there are people who enjoy the book? Good, because I wanted to make a case about the fact the some people seem to enjoy orange juice.

Anyway, Dan Brown - I'm reading it now, and I'm quite enjoying it. I've been going through a massive slump, lately, reading-wise, and I'm picking up this book more often than any other book I've read this year. Which is a good thing.

Cheers

Martin said:
What was you case again? That there are people who enjoy the book? Good, because I wanted to make a case about the fact the some people seem to enjoy orange juice.

Anyway, Dan Brown - I'm reading it now, and I'm quite enjoying it. I've been going through a massive slump, lately, reading-wise, and I'm picking up this book more often than any other book I've read this year. Which is a god thing.

Cheers

steward was nice and you can't spell!! or is this a GOD thing and YOU case?? :D

thnx 4 warm welcome

Stewart said:
Hi adity, welcome to the forum. And, to everyone else, I rest my case.
hey stewart!
i hope ill enjy this whl forum stuff as have joined for the first time! :D

The Da Vinci Code.

Finished it yesterday, and I really liked it. It was a quick read, not too difficult, and it was pretty exciting, too. I did find, however, that I was solving all the puzzles pages before the main characters did. But this only encouraged me to keep reading, to find out if I was right.

Dan Brown's style (if any) doesn't do much for me. The italics were pure exposition, and therefore inherently unnecessary. Especially in a novel as basic and simple as this. Also, the sentences were just too simple, too staccato. I did enjoy the short chapters, though.

I liked the story. Full of puzzles and controversy, twists and turns - I don't care if it's true or not (of course not), I liked it.

All in all, enjoyable read; it's worth neither the credit it's getting, nor the slack it's receiving.

My guess is Stewart will rest his case. Again.

Cheers

Martin said:
My guess is Stewart will rest his case. Again.

No. The resting my case comment was based on recent discussions about the authority of someone's opinion - regardless of the book, despite this being a major player in the discussion - and it was demonstrated in the lack of authority when someone says the book is well written when it's obvious they can't even string a sentence together. :)

People who are not fluid in English are perfectly capable of assessing a book's qualities, are they not? The two seem wholly unrelated.

Cheers

In the case of Adity, the person to whom you directed the remark, it is unclear as to what his or her first language is.

Besides, even if English is his or her first language, does articulateness have anything to do with literary acumen? I'm not too sure.

Cheers

I know it's really slow, and everyone else has probably read it, but I just finished 'The Da Vinci Code'. I can see what the hype is all about, it was very good and left me thinking. I thought the ending was exeptionally well done. So yeah, I enjoyed it and I expect I'll read it again in a few months time.

Back