• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

June 2008 - Book Group Suggestions

Some interesting possibilities have mentioned so far. I like hockeycop's idea of having Blaze be a pick. We might want to pair it with another King book to ensure the book discussion goes a full month. For some reason, I don't see Blaze taking that long to digest and analyze. We haven't had a lot of horror picks for the BOTM, might be just the right thing for a summer light reading pick.

I understand why folks wouldn't want to necessarily run with Uncle Tom's Cabin. As a history buff, I loved the book. It was definitely a driving influence in the abolitionist movement in America when it was written. The regional dialect is a bit tough to comprehend at first, but it isn't impossible.

I like hockeycop's idea of having Blaze be a pick. We might want to pair it with another King book to ensure the book discussion goes a full month. For some reason, I don't see Blaze taking that long to digest and analyze.
That is a problem with picking pieces for discussion that are there pretty much to entertain without doing anything else - they don't tend to have anything worth discussing or anything open to interpretation that gets seen in different ways by each reader, thereby pushing the discussion.

I suggest "The Killing Hour" by Lisa Gardner.

I got this from the Amazon website to kind of explain the book because I don't really know how. But it is a GREAT read!!!

A cold case grows hot again in Gardner's sixth high-octane page-turner, a romantic thriller that features rookie FBI agent Kimberly Quincy. Kimberly is the daughter of Pierce Quincy, former FBI profiler turned PI, last seen in The Next Accident. She's a tough, troubled young woman still recovering from the murders of her mother and sister six years earlier. During week nine of the FBI Academy's 16-week training program in Virginia, she discovers the body of a young woman who looks like her late sister. Since the corpse has been dumped on a secured Marine base, the Naval Criminal Investigation Service is in charge, but determined Kimberly soon takes a leave of absence so she can team up with Michael "Mac" McCormack, visiting Georgia Bureau of Investigations Special Agent, along with her father and his partner, Rainie Connor, to prevent another death. Mac receives taunting mail and cell phone messages ("planet dying... animals weeping... rivers screaming... can't you hear it? Heat kills") that lead him to suspect a serial eco-killer who last struck in Georgia three years earlier, leaving seven dead women and one survivor. Sparks fly between Kimberly and Mac as they rush to rescue the eco-killer's latest victim, Tina Krahn. Gardner offers riveting glimpses of Tina's struggle to survive in an environmentally hazardous locale. With tight plotting, an ear for forensic detail and a dash of romance, this is a truly satisfying sizzler in the tradition of Tess Gerritsen and Tami Hoag.

I suggest "The Killing Hour" by Lisa Gardner.

I got this from the Amazon website to kind of explain the book because I don't really know how. But it is a GREAT read!!!

A cold case grows hot again in Gardner's sixth high-octane page-turner, a romantic thriller that features rookie FBI agent Kimberly Quincy. Kimberly is the daughter of Pierce Quincy, former FBI profiler turned PI, last seen in The Next Accident. She's a tough, troubled young woman still recovering from the murders of her mother and sister six years earlier. During week nine of the FBI Academy's 16-week training program in Virginia, she discovers the body of a young woman who looks like her late sister. Since the corpse has been dumped on a secured Marine base, the Naval Criminal Investigation Service is in charge, but determined Kimberly soon takes a leave of absence so she can team up with Michael "Mac" McCormack, visiting Georgia Bureau of Investigations Special Agent, along with her father and his partner, Rainie Connor, to prevent another death. Mac receives taunting mail and cell phone messages ("planet dying... animals weeping... rivers screaming... can't you hear it? Heat kills") that lead him to suspect a serial eco-killer who last struck in Georgia three years earlier, leaving seven dead women and one survivor. Sparks fly between Kimberly and Mac as they rush to rescue the eco-killer's latest victim, Tina Krahn. Gardner offers riveting glimpses of Tina's struggle to survive in an environmentally hazardous locale. With tight plotting, an ear for forensic detail and a dash of romance, this is a truly satisfying sizzler in the tradition of Tess Gerritsen and Tami Hoag.

:cool: Criminal Minds meets NCIS!!!
I'd really like to read this book...

Now I was just thinking... Theres only a week until june and we haven't decided on a book yet. How is anyone going to get the book in time?

We allready have june, july , august and septemberwe are talking about october:)

June - Farewell to Arms:)

i'm hoping to. though i've come across 2 reasons on which i may not be able to.

1) there are 5 people infront of me in requests for the book.. and i cant aford to buy it
2) i've just started reading a book, i don't know if i'll be finished in time to read another by the end of june :(

It's look like the book group is left to ourself,but then who are we?

I am glad to see the discussion on this thread develop like it has. The old method of suggesting books and barring discussion about a given pick, then voting, is what killed some selections. Instead of hashing out picks and why a given book should be chosen, I think some folks would make a suggestion, have it shot down, and then not participate.

One thing i find is last month lots of peoples voted for books just for the sake of it.How much of us are left 5 or 6
Maybe a bit of dusting would be good,not something extreme for it's good to have people come and go(not everyone fell's like reading all the books choosen)but more of a clarification.

Getting an online reading group going is like herding cats.

Maybe the new Ownership of B&R,left the "book of the month" in fog zone.I am stepping on eggs here because i like the way Stewart handeled it but he may wish the weight of his shoulders?

I think this thread demonstrates the perfect way to go-a thread where the members at large suggest, try to convince, and then settle on a pick. I think this is way to get it done.:)

I think this thread demonstrates the perfect way to go-a thread where the members at large suggest, try to convince, and then settle on a pick. I think this is way to get it done.:)

Even if it doesn't get the job 'done' we still manage a lot of healthy book discussion while we attempt to settle on one book:cool:

I think we are doing very well. We have the four months ahead of us picked , so discussing october , we can take our time.

i suggest/nominate 'The Gift' by alison croggon,a female australian writer,the gifts sequels are better,but i choose the gift because its obviously easier for people to start on the first book

The Gift is about a young girl called maerad,pronounced my-rad,who is a slave in a small settlement in the mountains,she escapes with the help of a 'bard' called cadvan,bards are like magicians/wizards,cadvan tells her that she is a bard,and the travel all the way to the capital of 'annar',the country where the gift takes palce,on the way they find maerads long lost brother,hem/cai.

i wont spoil too much of the plot...but read this!

here is some suggestions

Stranger on the train by Patricia Highsmith as a thriller would support a good discution,the complexity of the caracteres and the plot as well as the style adnd size make it an interesting read

Testament Francais by Andrei Makine was very interesting and caught the attention of a few of us

The Sea by John Banville,or any others by the master

rosemary Baby by Ira Levin would be a good horror choice(maybe)

doctor glas would be good to

Back