• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Finally saw Inception yesterday.

So, the theatre was pretty bad. The audio was warped and messed up every now and then throughout.
This little girl kept passing in front of us and was constantly talking to her mother.
I think the woman behind me was on a respirator, so there was this rhythmic kssh sound.

But you know, it all wasn't too terrible. I've experienced worse and I was still able to enjoy the movie.
It's not my favorite, and probably not my favorite of the year. But I can see what all the fuss is about and why others have gone back to see it multiple times (although, I'll probably wait 'til DVD/Blu to see it again).
:star4:

Centurion ~ a group of Roman soldiers are trapped behind enemy lines in ancient Scotland and are hunted by the Picts as they try to make their way back to Roman territory. I've loved reading about Picts since I was kid reading Robert E Howard, so to see them depicted on screen was great, has there been any other film to do so? Olga Kurylenko is badass as the vicious Pict tracker.

:star4:

awww.filmofilia.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_06_centurion_poster_535x792.jpg

awww.daemonsmovies.com_wp_content_uploads_2009_03_olga_kurylenko_centurion_500x331.jpg

Mega Piranha is about a school of giant piranhas attacking the US (because if you're a fish, clearly the first thing on your mind once you've grown to a certain size is to launch a terrorist attack on the United States). It's also one of the worst films I've ever seen. It's not like I was expecting it to be good, but at least I expected it to be fun. But it goes right past So Bad It's Hilarious into So Bad It's Depressing; between the shit acting, the shit plot, the shit script, the shit CGI (oh god), the shit editing etc, it's one of those films where absolutely NOBODY on the entire set even tried to do a passable job. Plus, for a movie about mega piranhas, it seems to think that the worst threat to America is the Venezuelan army. Which consists of five guys with silly mustaches in a helicopter. Zero stars.

Continuing my warm-up to Piranha 3D by watching the originals: Piranha (Joe Dante, 1978) and Piranha II: The Spawning (James Cameron (yes, THAT James Cameron), 1982). Both of which are a lot more fun than they have any right to be. Dante plays up the comedy a lot more than Cameron does (or ever has), turning his into both a working monster movie and a pretty funny send-up of one. Not very good, but decent. :star2:. Piranha II is utter shit, but it's funny shit; piranhas that look like the singing bass except with wings, flapping around the caribbean and munching on people out of pure evilness. Fair amount of nudity, even worse special effects, absolutely zero suspense, but hey; at least it's better than Titanic. :star1:

Also saw The Virgin Suicides. Now that's a good movie. I hate voice-overs, but I love voice-overs that get the story completely wrong. :star4:

I watched Dairy of a Wimpy Kid. It was nothing special and I've seen movies like this a million times before. I got about 45 mins in and had enough of it. I wasn't funny as the trailer let on. :star2:

What was the girl talkin to her mom about?
It was pretty ridiculous. The little girl, her mother, and brother(?) were sitting in front of us. And to our right a couple seats down were other relatives or friends. So the little girl would go from sitting with her mom, to walking past us to sit with those others. Back and forth. When she was sitting next to Paul, she would stand, lean, and talk to her mother in front of us. She was asking for her ticket at one point. I don't really know what else she was talking about the other times. But it was very annoying. I get that you can't always get a babysitter, but damn, that little girl has no idea as to what's going on in the movie. She must've been bored out of her mind.

I just saw Funny People (I know I am a little late with this one) and I thought it was great. I don't usually like Judd Apatow movies, but I am a fan of Adam Sandler, and it was just a good movie. The highlight being Eminem at the bar flipping out on Ray Romano.

Streaming on Netflix:
Blue Velvet for the first time last night. Yup, definitely a David Lynch film. Dennis Hopper was very creepy. :shudders:
Followed by Cool World. Oh... young Brad Pitt...

Today, we watched Good Dick. I thought it was pretty damn interesting and pretty f'ing weird. Watch for free on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/161865/good-dick

Streaming on Netflix:
Blue Velvet for the first time last night. Yup, definitely a David Lynch film. Dennis Hopper was very creepy. :shudders:

Glad you finally got to see it! Orbison's In Dreams runs a chill up my back to this day whenever I hear it.

King arthur ?
Was their Picts in that? I remember seeing that one.

Angel Heart ~ love this noir/horror hybrid, with Mickey Rourke and De Niro at the top of their game. I had forgotten that it had cat eyed Charlotte Rampling in a small role. To this day I don't know what the symbolism of the fans is. Lisa Bonet got kicked off The Cosby Show cause of her sex scene with Rourke. And said sex scene looks awesome on blu! :D :star4:

Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny, and Girly

How was it? Fun?

Glad you finally got to see it! Orbison's In Dreams runs a chill up my back to this day whenever I hear it.
I know, I'm very happy I was able to see it too. It was new to Netflix instant. When I saw it there, I was like, "OhHellYes." ;) Amazing.
---
Because of aintitcool.com, I was happy to see that Girly was added to Netflix instant as well. It was umm, slow. Tried my patience. But overall, I enjoyed it. I wish it were more exciting.
Amazon.com: Girly (aka Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny and Girly) (1969): Vanessa Howard, Freddie Francis: Movies & TV

Salt. Well, I like that it's an action movie with a female protagonist that was originally written for a male one and barely changed - when was the last time that happened, Alien? And Jolie is decent as an action movie star. But the plot is so full of holes you'd think it had been used as target practice. :star2:

Ohhhhh I want to see it! But who knows when and if it'll be released here :sad:

I saw The Girl Who Played with Fire :star4: and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest :star4:

Noomi Rapace IS Lisbeth Salander, so what's-her-face that Fincher cast has very big shoes to fill. I'm not saying the new versions will suck but I think it's safe to say that they'll lack some authenticity, particularly if Fincher goes ahead with the ridiculous idea of having the cast speak English with Swedish accents.

Back