• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Old Christmas Threads (gifts, well wishes, etc)

A Special Christmas

Does anyone have a Christmas that was very special to them. This is my special snow filled Christmas:

It occured many years ago. We were all at my parents house in a small town in Pennsylvania. Me, my wife and 2 little boys. My brother, his wife and their 3 little girls.

There was about 18 inches of snow. The trees were covered and it was beautiful outside. We were all getting ready to go to Christmas Eve Church service when the power went out. The snow was heavy and had taken down some power lines somewhere.

We lit candles in the house and continued to get dressed for church. When we went outside all the kids started to play in the snow and throwing snowballs. When we finally got to church that night it was all lit with candles and there was a real candlelight service.

It was a magical evening with all the snow, no electricity, and everyone enjoying the moment.

My parents are now both gone, my brother died young at age 52. The kids are all grown up and gone with their own families. I will always remember that night.

The one Christmas that sticks out in my mind first was actually a Christmas Eve. This was when I was still living at home, just before moving out (I had to have been 21-22), and both my younger brothers and younger sister were still at home. We didn't do anything special that year like we would usually for Christmas Eve, but we were all hungry even hours after dinner. So we decided to get some egg rolls from the local Chinese place and went to 7-Eleven for some frozen pizzas. I remember my brothers and I went to go get all the food, and we were having a good old time waiting for our order, watching the fish in the lobby swim around the tank. At home, we ended up dumping one of the pizzas on the floor on it's way out of the oven, and had a mishap with some duck sauce. But there was something in the air that night because all six of us (which includes my parents) were just laughing all night long.

Of course this year may rank up there too as my wife will be giving birth to our son in a week or two! :D

Muggle, your Christmas sounded very cool. My wife and I used to have a fire place and usually fell asleep in front of it on Christmas Eve. The candles would be a cool thing to do. Might keep that in mind for this year.

Buying books for others during christmas time

So what books will you be buying others for christmas?

Here's my short list:

For my boss
-On B.S.;)

For the wife
-Some counseling, touchy-feely book about persevering and saving the worldwhile being over-stressed and under-paid.

For the brother in law
-Subscription to Cigar Aficionado.

For the niece
-A Veggie-tales book

For my senior government kids:
-Dense monographs to make them curse and stress for their mid-term exams.:p

For my college students
-The Spiritual Life of Children; Robert Coles(It's one of my required books for the course.:D )

My kids
-About 400 leap-pad books

SFG75 said:
SFor the wife
-Some counseling, touchy-feely book about persevering and saving the worldwhile being over-stressed and under-paid.
Yeah well, I know what the wife'll get you: How to listen, symphatize, and take out the trash. I forget the author.

Yeah, I've been there.

:(

ds

For my grandmother - Frontier of Dreams (not sure about author). It's a book that follows the history of New Zealand, and can be used as a read-along guide for the tv programme currently screening here under the same name.

For my brother - Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

For my grandfather - the new Bryce Courtney Book. He absolutely adores Courtney.

Wabbit said:
I'm buying my nephew Treasure Island arrrrrrrrrrr ;)

Here's one for our stateside members.

Where do pirates go to eat?

Answer:
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrby's.

I'm buying some art books for oldest DD, two of The Moffat's series for younger DD, probably a Dr. Seuss book and a book about dinosaurs for oldest Ds. Not sure yet about youngest, but he'll get a couple for sure. I even bought a few for myself :D .

SFG75 said:
Here's one for our stateside members.

Where do pirates go to eat?

Answer:
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrby's.

I get that one too :p

I have eaten at arbys. Those curly fries are nice, but im not sure if about that "meat" :eek:

I came here now to create such a thread. :D

So far I have bought Oryx and Crake by Atwood, great minds think alike MonkeyCatcher ;), for the GF's sister-in-law and a coffee table book with pictures of Fay, the Weimaraner famously photographed by William Wegman for my father. I will also be picking up a Bartending Guide of some sort for someone, a small book of Buddhist wisdom and Ken Follett's newest mass paperback Whiteout for my father. I would like to buy more books for people on my list but unfortunately they're just not book people no matter how well thought out that book purchase may be. Ashame considering I have my discount for being a seasonal employee at a bookstore.

StillILearn said:
This is going to be so helpful. Thanks, all. :)
I just received an email from my 13 yr old grandaughter and she recommends these 2 books by Isabel Allende which she enjoyed:

City of the Beasts
Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (sequel to City of the Beasts)

So far the only books I am going to buy are for my kids.

For my daughter I am going to buy the Fifth book in the Lemony Snickets series. And for my son I am not sure yet. He is 3 and I will have to do some looking for a good one for him.

Wabbit said:
I'm buying my nephew Treasure Island arrrrrrrrrrr ;)

Oh. that is a good one, I might have to pick that up for my son:) My sis-inlaw is getting the Black Dahlia Avenger, father-inlaw gets Camalod Chronicles 1 & 2, my mom gets Outlander and i'm still trying to figure out the rest probably a civil war book for dad and a U.S. history book for step dad. We usually get books & movie gift certs for everyone.

I bought an Eric Carle book for my nephew. I can't remember which one, but I think it might have been Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? I also got The Wiggles Ready, Set, Wiggle! Jumbo Coloring and Activity Book, but I think I'm giving him that and a puppet for his birthday this week.

For his sister I got Klutz's Design Your Own Charm Watch, which isn't really a real book, but I've bought her a good dozen books since last Christmas.

Other than that, I doubt I will give many books. I gave a ton for birthday presents this year, and about fifteen for Christmas gifts last year. I think people are probably getting sick of all my book giving!

I found a collection of Alfred Hitchcock mysteries at a book sale that I already purchased for my mother. It's in large print too so it won't be such a strain on her eyes to read.

For my best girl friend who's like a little sister, I might get The Good Earth or a gift card for Borders... ^^;;

I love those Klutz Press books/kits. They make it easy to introduce a craft and a cool book to the kids on my list. Whoever thought of them was brilliant.

What about for adult women? And no self-help books, I can't stand them half the time. I have enough trouble figuring out what to buy myself (or ask for). Buying books for other adult women is difficult.

i was going to buy "prep" for my sister b/c its a our joke that she's extremely preppy.. but then i read that that book is about a 14 yr old. my sister's 21; i decided against it

Back