• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Structural Suggestions

Stewart

I've never taken part, or bothered with, the Book of the Month since I prefer to just read what I want, when I want. So I left this part to the other mods to deal with. They don't come around much more. So I suppose it needs a bit of an injection to kickstart it again.

But the usual nominate, vote, and discuss process has shown that it rarely works. People participate by nominating books they want to read and, when the don't get voted in, slink off never to be seen again...until the next round of nominations, at least.

People have expressed an interest in the book club, though. So I guess it needs a rethink if it's to be successful. Having looked at other well known book clubs (Oprah's, Richard & Judy, etc.) these seem to work because the person behind them is putting the choice in front of the user. So the users aren't bickering over what's on offer, but have something to go out and get, read, and then discuss. Over on Palimpsest, another forum, their book club titles are picked six months in advance by the admin, which allows for a variety of titles to be chosen and for members to get and read a copy in plenty of time. It works. The discussion is vibrant.

Would that work here? To have a number of titles listed in advance. For six months in advance, let's say, there could be nominated six books (a prizewinner, a classic, a piece in translation, a genre piece, a 20th Century work, and a collection of short stories) and each with a designated month for discussion.

A sample charter, like:
April: Angle Of Repose, Wallace Stegner
May: North And South, Elizabeth Gaskell
June: Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert
July: Stand On Zanzibar, John Brunner
August: We Were The Mulvaneys, Joyce Carol Oates
September: What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, Raymond Carver
Or we could pick a different member each month and just ask them to provider a book for the month (a few months in advance) and then everyone gets their turn.

Or a book of the month for the different categories? So there's a general book of the month, a crime book of the month, a fantasy book of the month, etc. Personally, I don't like this one.

Other ideas?

Stewart, I'm like you in that unless it is an assignment for a class I read what I want.

That being said, I find your proposals interesting. I especially like having different members select a book because that gives people a genuine feeling of being involved in the process.

I like having members take turns choosing the book of the month. It would be nice if there's a variety of selections..such as the occassional short story collection or a nonfiction title..not sure how you'd regulate that. Like you and Sparky, I prefer to read what I want; if the BOTM appeals I'll participate. Sometimes the book appeals, but I just don't have the time or energy. Such is life.

I like the idea. The only problem I could see would be that given how people tend to come and go, there's a fair chance that the person who picked the book won't be here when it's time to discuss it... of course, that might not matter much if people still discuss the book.

I like the idea. The only problem I could see would be that given how people tend to come and go, there's a fair chance that the person who picked the book won't be here when it's time to discuss it... of course, that might not matter much if people still discuss the book.

I agree. It must be realized that it would be quite a laborious job for a chosen person to lead the discussion!

And many will depend on the picked book - it might lead again to a "dead discussion" since nobody would like to read this specific book in a given time... It might be depressing then for the "leading person of the month"...

However it is hard to suggest anything better than that... So I am in - may be it will work!

I agree. It must be realized that it would be quite a laborious job for a chosen person to lead the discussion!

And many will depend on the picked book - it might lead again to a "dead discussion" since nobody would like to read this specific book in a given time... It might be depressing then for the "leading person of the month"...

However it is hard to suggest anything better than that... So I am in - may be it will work!

What another forum does, is have the person whose turn it is to pick..chooses three titles and the group votes. That at least gives an indication of preferences. We also ask how many will be participating..sometimes real life intervenes and folks are unable to take part as they'd planned, but it's one way to do it.

As far as i can see,the "trend"in books is already a fair director of our reading.How much of us have nor read The road,Atonement,the time traveller wife,kite runner,...
The book market, Distinction(price or reward),and press make reader picked by so and so books that we all shall read in our good time.

I am a member of two different book groups, and choosing the right books to discuss is important to the success of the groups. The books can't be too easy or too difficult or too long or too obscure or too obvious....

Two methods have worked.

One approach is to rotate the job of discussion leader and that person chooses the book. That way, the leader chooses a book she really wants to talk about. Get the choice posted at least 3 months ahead so that people have time to do the reading.

The other approach is to have a selection/election process once a year. Members nominate books and the group votes. (It's a weighted voting system and two books by the same author are never discussed during that year.) At the end, the schedule is made up for the 12 months. You can look ahead and see which ones you want to be involved with.

The BOMC process here at the forum seems to spend all the time trying to choose a book and no time discussing it.

I have always wanted to join in one of these discussions, but I was never interested in the book chosen.

I know it's just an example, but Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert sounds good.

I would also participate:)

I like Stewarts idea of the list six months in advance,(It gives us time to find the books ) and also reading other things than historical fiction would interest me a lot.
So I am in.

I know it's just an example, but Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert sounds good.
We could make Madame Bovary the book of the month for April, just to get things started again. In the meantime, keep suggestions coming in. Madame Bovary is one of those books that, because of its history in letters, suggest further reading, in books such as Julian Barnes' Flaubert's Parrot and, recently, Adam Thirwell's lit-crit, Miss Herbert.

We could make Madame Bovary the book of the month for April, just to get things started again. In the meantime, keep suggestions coming in. Madame Bovary is one of those books that, because of its history in letters, suggest further reading, in books such as Julian Barnes' Flaubert's Parrot and, recently, Adam Thirwell's lit-crit, Miss Herbert.

That sounds good, Stewart. I'll start looking around for available copies.

It would be good to get a few more people to join in.

I'm on for Madame Bovary in April. Here are some suggestions for books to discuss in the future:

Charles Dickens, Hard Times
A. S. Byatt, Possession (the book not the movie)
Isak Dinesen, Out of Africa
Joseph Conrad, The Secret Agent
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Doran Gray
Sinclair Lewis, Main Street

Back