• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Structural Suggestions

O.K, I know I am being a nag but it's only because I can't get the books as fast here.
I want to suggest to everyone if we could pick the BOM for the following months earlier, because I am getting The First Circle in June :mad:

Thank you for the investigation Champagne.There must be a trap door somewhere in the "book of the month" One has to step cautiously.

I'm very flexible. I'm open to reading what others suggest. Besides, I can always read what I want to read after I've read the Book of the Month. What's important to me is reading a book and then DISCUSSING it. This is the component that's missing in my reading experience. I'll read almost anything except for "A Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway. (D'oh!)

Just kidding...

What we do in the German forum is as follows:
There are more then one group active. So basically every group suggest a few books three months in advance and the members choose. Groupmembers jump from one group to another if they prefer or don't like the suggestions made.

This way we have a lot of different genres going on and it's always fun.

Personally I won't participate in a group where one person says what is to be read because I want to decide what to read and what not. ;-)

For some reason, I get the feeling that I posted about this here, but perhaps it was another thread.:eek: At any rate-I'd like to see a thread started by Stewart or Sparkchaser and then the membership tosses out suggestions until something resembling a compromise occurs. This worked well in another thread and would spare the moderators the time and headache of managing polls and new threads.

Sleepy-You would be a heck of a good person to have in a discussion. It really isn't some dictatorial thing really, though I do know what you're talking about, readers are very picky about what they are goign to read and what they like/don't like.:D

It might make sense to have a fiction and a nonfiction choice each month, if there are enough interested people.

It might make sense to have a fiction and a nonfiction choice each month, if there are enough interested people.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know if there is enough interest.

To he honest, I would still like to find ways to get more discusion in the BOTM thread.

The problem with just using consensus is it leaves out those of us who would rather use our time discussing the book at hand and reading the upcoming book than trying to build consensus in the crowd for some future book.

After we have had the opportunity to suggest some books and time to discuss why they would be good selections, put it up to a poll. Everyone has the same voice, not just those lobbying for their book.

By all means keep the discipline of having at least one month to read and one month to discuss.

I might be a good idea to split a book into chapters. Say 1-5 and so on. This way people are able to read the book at their pace without being spoiled by users that already read the whole book or are far ahead.
I think a chapterwise discussion makes a lot more sense than one thread where everybody throws in a few sentences. But this are just my two cents and the way I am used to book discussions.

I never took part in a Book of the Month discussion. But by the first time I'm thinking about participating by voting for a book I'm almost finishing the reading.

So, due to my interest in this, here's the four-step schedule I suggest:

1) I don't know if it would be possible to create a mechanism in this forum that automatically generates a list of the most active users by the eve of the discussion.

2) So each one of the members of this list would choose a book to be voted as the Book of the Month and give a description of the chosen book and reason of the choice.

3) Then, a second list containing the books under voting will be created.

4) The other members of the forums (those who were not included in this most active users list) would vote in the different books of the books' list.

It would probably work because only the members that actually are browsing the forums would take part, concerning the voting would happen in the time just before the start of the Book of the Month discussion, like 5 or 7 days before. So this system would not run the risk reported by our mate beer good:

The only problem I could see would be that given how people tend to come and go, there's a fair chance that the person who picked the book won't be here when it's time to discuss it... of course, that might not matter much if people still discuss the book.

Also, the members would be stimulated to take part in the forum events because it would be a way to grow activeness/popularity and--who knows--be inserted in the list of the most active users and set a book to be voted.

I think people spend as much or as little time on the forum as their schedule allows. By taking suggestions from those that post the most, I feel we would be penalizing new members or those that don't have as much time to spend on the board.

I might be a good idea to split a book into chapters. Say 1-5 and so on. This way people are able to read the book at their pace without being spoiled by users that already read the whole book or are far ahead.
I think a chapterwise discussion makes a lot more sense than one thread where everybody throws in a few sentences. But this are just my two cents and the way I am used to book discussions.

I have suggested similar measures for similar reasons. I don't remember having much support.

Back