• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Structural Suggestions

I think people spend as much or as little time on the forum as their schedule allows. By taking suggestions from those that post the most, I feel we would be penalizing new members or those that don't have as much time to spend on the board.

The users' activity shaw be measured not by the number of minutes or hours on line, but by the recent posts and/or by recent logins. Example: an user that logged in in the last two days may be taken as more active than an user that logged by the last time three days ago.

And also, once inserted in a list, an user may not be part of the list of the next book of the month so there will be more chances to others be inserted in this list next time.

It's just a suggestion, I don't intent to present a perfect voting system.

I myself don't spend more than 10 minutes on line. I just log in, check if there's anything new, post something (or not) and log out. I bet the same applies to anyone in here as it may happen in any forum in the internet.

The users' activity shaw be measured not by the number of minutes or hours on line, but by the recent posts and/or by recent logins. Example: an user that logged in in the last two days may be taken as more active than an user that logged by the last time three days ago.

And also, once inserted in a list, an user may not be part of the list of the next book of the month so there will be more chances to others be inserted in this list next time.

It's just a suggestion, I don't intent to present a perfect voting system.

I myself don't spend more than 10 minutes on line. I just log in, check if there's anything new, post something (or not) and log out. I bet the same applies to anyone in here as it may happen in any forum in the internet.

Robert is right.:whistling: Any suggestions are apreciated.

i think there should be categories with different chosen books of the month on them, depending on what people like to read. not to detailed though, Fiction, Non-fiction, How To.. etc.

i have a suggestion for a non-fiction book:

Van Gogh's Women: this is a book about Vincent Van Gogh and the women in his life, which played a major role in his life, his letters to his siblings and friends, and his fall into madness and the reasons why he did the things he did. self mutilation and by the end shooting himself at 37, the event that took his life. a very shy young boy who grew up having a love hate relationship with himself and the women that came and abruptly at time left his life. really mind boggling and it pulls you into a sometimes bright and sometimes dark life of one of the most celebrated painters today.

The best thing to do is suggest the category that you want to read for a given month. If we haven't touched on it lately, then there a very good chance everybody will buy in and put suggestions on the table for discussion. That's how we decided to read a woman author in November. In this case, you might want to suggest non-fiction for December or January.

The best thing to do is suggest the category that you want to read for a given month. If we haven't touched on it lately, then there a very good chance everybody will buy in and put suggestions on the table for discussion. That's how we decided to read a woman author in November. In this case, you might want to suggest non-fiction for December or January.

I suggest the biography category and specifically propose The Life of Charlotte Bronte by Elizabeth Gaskell. Gaskell was already an established author when Jane Eyre was published. The two women admired each other's work, both were daughters of clergymen, married to clergymen. and they visited in each other's homes. When Bronte died, far too young, Gaskell took up the task of writing her life. She had the help of most members of the Bronte family and access to Bronte's letters.

The Life is written clearly and sympathetically. It is the work on which all the later biographies have to draw.

Book Of The Month discussions

Just a suggestion that was previously discussed.:
We discuss the book by chapters, that way one person who is finished with the book, does not go too far ahead of the rest that are in the process.I think it will also generate more talk.:)

Just a suggestion that was previously discussed.:
We discuss the book by chapters, that way one person who is finished with the book, does not go too far ahead of the rest that are in the process.I think it will also generate more talk.:)

Great suggestion! I see that we have two extremes going on right now. I like to examine almost each and every paragraph and ruminate on what the most minute action or line might have meant. Some other folks are like that too and then there are those who post something along the lines of: "Read it last year, loved it." Perhaps there needs to be more of a middle ground, but having read our BOTM selection a year ago or so, I can't say that I blame folks who post about reading it and having liked it. It is tough to get back into it, let alone put down other books and not be bored with the pick. We almost need a "super majority" in order to approve a book. I'm not seeing much enthusiasm for what is picked.:sad::star1:

Great suggestion! I see that we have two extremes going on right now. I like to examine almost each and every paragraph and ruminate on what the most minute action or line might have meant. Some other folks are like that too and then there are those who post something along the lines of: "Read it last year, loved it." Perhaps there needs to be more of a middle ground, but having read our BOTM selection a year ago or so, I can't say that I blame folks who post about reading it and having liked it. It is tough to get back into it, let alone put down other books and not be bored with the pick. We almost need a "super majority" in order to approve a book. I'm not seeing much enthusiasm for what is picked.:sad::star1:

I like to go more slow too, and discuss it. Fathers and Sons was much better then I gave it credit for in the begining. Maybe we are suggesting too many books ? Maybe we should stick to one suggestion each,and when discission starts , we go by chapters,say first three chapters, then go on to the next three chapters. I am just throwing ideas,I want feedback.

We discuss the book by chapters...
Makes sense to me. For example, if the current BOTM is forty chapters, state in the first post, that you will read/discuss chapters 1 to 10 on days one to seven, 11 to 20 on days 8 to 14 and so forth.
You may need to make variations on this according to the structure of the book.

Makes sense to me. For example, if the current BOTM is forty chapters, state in the first post, that you will read/discuss chapters 1 to 10 on days one to seven, 11 to 20 on days 8 to 14 and so forth.
You may need to make variations on this according to the structure of the book.

I agree.

So we have 14 voters for Juin BOTM,how many will read the book?
Could we not have a sort of Group for voter(including the ones who join occasionaly)Some just vote for the sake of it obviously.
I don't mind really but a bit of reserve could be good.

^I was thinking about this too Thomas,maybe have 5 choices to vote on because the votes get too spread out.And also not more than one suggestion from one member.

Any more suggestions are welcomed.

IMO, one suggestion per member would be too stifling. Better to have a rule that says at least one other member needs to bless the nomination before it goes on the voting list. If you end up with a list of more than five and none get a majority of the votes, have a run-off.

IMO, one suggestion per member would be too stifling. Better to have a rule that says at least one other member needs to bless the nomination before it goes on the voting list. If you end up with a list of more than five and none get a majority of the votes, have a run-off.

I agree. One suggestion is too few. We've actually come a long way since we had eight or ten (or more) suggestions from members.

Your idea of seconding a title has merit. We could require a second on a title before it's added to the poll.

Good idea.

Back