• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tragedy in London

lies said:
I thought some eyewitness said it was a tourist bus? (Not that it really matters; people are people.)

I heard it was one of the double-deckers. Are those tourist buses or commuters?

leckert said:
I heard it was one of the double-deckers. Are those tourist buses or commuters?

They can be either - tourist buses are sometimes open top but double-deckers are used for both. These are standard in and around London. At that time of the morning most commuters would have already been in work.

Irene Wilde said:
Good to see you, Ice. Every time someone else is safe and accounted for it's like the sun coming out.

You're all lovely! Your show of support means a lot. Thank you!

I normally get off at Edgware road (one of the stations that was hit), but was off sick today and am so glad I made the decision to stay at home rather than struggling in. I've been frantically ringing my friends and family all day and they're all fine, thank god. I still haven't heard from some of my colleagues though and am very concerned about them.

Hope all our other Londoners, and their friends and families are ok.

I'm glad to hear that most of the London memebers are ok and so sorry to hear that this happened again.

I am seeing a lot of postings from our friends in and around London saying "I am normally at that stop in the morning, but I was sick..." or "I went in early today" or some other thing to alter a schedule that would have put them in the middle of this tragedy this morning.

It is eerie. Makes one think of things such as "fate" and "karma" and "destiny" and stuff like that. Don't want to get into religion here, just thought this was interesting.

Yes, I caught the end of the news and it was saying how a man was wanting to get into a train carriage, but it was so full he couldn't, so he got into a different one a few carriages back. The one he wanted to get into had a bomb in it.

It does make you think about fate, plain luck and whether some things are pre-ordained.

Leckert- I think that that occurs a lot in these situations, when the dining hall was bombed in Mosul, my husband and his unit were on their way for lunch and got held up with some paper work down the street at another FOB. They arrived about 15 mins after the explosion in time to help. When he was talking with the other guys afterwards there were many who would normally have been in the dining hall who were not that day.

Ronny said:
Leckert- I think that that occurs a lot in these situations,

I think you are right. I didn't want to bring up 9/11 today, but, on that day I was on the metro (subway/tube/carriage/underground train thingy) at the Pentagon no more than 15 minutes before the plane crashed there.

weird.

Across the morning skyline
As the city comes to life
A rolling sound of thunder
Cuts the normal like a knife

So many lives now fractured
Peoples lives ended today
A special kind of 'hero'
Plants a bomb and walks away.

The horror and the carnage
In my eyes on my TV
And if there is a god up there
I thank god its not me.

leckert said:
I didn't want to bring up 9/11 today, but, on that day I was on the metro (subway/tube/carriage/underground train thingy) at the Pentagon no more than 15 minutes before the plane crashed there.
We were discussing whether we'd go to the WTC or to some museums first that day. We went for the museums (not that we got in); if we hadn't, we would've been standing under the towers at 8 AM.

Same thing happened when we went to Cuba last year. If we had stuck to our schedule, we would have been in the way of hurricane Ivan, but we didn't and hardly got anything at all. (Still, we were forced to stay inside for a couple of days.)

The thing is, in hindsight all of this looks "significant", but I really don't think it is. I don't think it's fate... Just coincidence.

this was definatly an act of terrorism, no matter who is responsable, things like this happening are some of the reasons why i dont watch the news.

liktareadmore63 said:
this was definatly an act of terrorism, no matter who is responsable, things like this happening are some of the reasons why i dont watch the news.

American news doesn't show half the stuff anyway. In American news they don't even show you the bodies coming back from Iraq.

Ellie82 said:
You're all lovely! Your show of support means a lot. Thank you!

I normally get off at Edgware road (one of the stations that was hit), but was off sick today and am so glad I made the decision to stay at home rather than struggling in. I've been frantically ringing my friends and family all day and they're all fine, thank god. I still haven't heard from some of my colleagues though and am very concerned about them.

Hope all our other Londoners, and their friends and families are ok.

wow, glad you called in sick today :)

When I heard about the bombings, just had to find an internet cafe and check on TBF Londoners.

My thoughts are with you all. Take care.

ell

Believe it or not, I just found out about the terrorist attacks in London. What fucked up times we live in. If there is a hell, terrorists can forever burn there for all I care. I wish television news showed numbers for those rescued, instead of those deceased. Why is all news bad news nowadays?

Back