• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tragedy in London

My heart goes out to those effected by this atrocity. I'm unable to express the range of emotions I've felt today. And as much as I try to understand the twisted logic of those responsible for these tragedies, all I can think of are the children that will be raised (now) with seething hatred, much the same way that the terrorists themselves were probably raised.

Where does it end?

I'm comforted that my overseas friends here are still with us. I hope you all gave your loved ones a little exta umph in your hugs yesterday.....and continue to for sometime to come.

RaVeN

I hope that everyone will be carefull out there today!

RaVeN said:
all I can think of are the children that will be raised (now) with seething hatred, much the same way that the terrorists themselves were probably raised.

This worries me too. After the initial shock and sadness for the injured people the next thing I thought of was what happened after 9/11. I remember people exressing concern and sadness, follwed by hatred and prejudism. I remember a hispanic friend being called a "raghead" and a terrorist because people thought he was arab and that all arabs are terrorists. I hope that this won't happen in the UK as well.

mehastings said:
I hope that everyone will be carefull out there today!

This worries me too. After the initial shock and sadness for the injured people the next thing I thought of was what happened after 9/11. I remember people exressing concern and sadness, follwed by hatred and prejudism. I remember a hispanic friend being called a "raghead" and a terrorist because people thought he was arab and that all arabs are terrorists. I hope that this won't happen in the UK as well.

Yes that's a fear close to my heart, my youngest Son age 10 is adopted and half Indian, could be thought as Arab.

Sad,and Bad times to say the least.,
Our World can only continue to work together and find some way to stop this.

Through all the hell it Was a blessing to see people strangers hand in hand including Arabs, helping each other as I saw yesterday, the Police,Amb,& Fire Services working with such skill & team work not leaving out the great job done by the Dogs.
The Love & Togetherness for others was showing much brighter than the unhuman act that was, and is done by a few!

I feel we owe it to those we lost yesterday. 9/11 and all such attacks to try to All keep our Spirit Alive and Unbroken!

I am afraid to say that there were already a lot of english people who have been very anti-muslim since 9/11 & still haven't changed their attitudes, as though every single muslim was at fault somehow. My husband is english, but he tans very easily, has dark hair & dark eyes so he sometimes gets harrassed around here for being muslim!?!

This country has taken on harder bastards than these gutless and inhuman turds responsible for yesterday.
Lets all hope they rot in hell.

wtccandle.gif

Sar said:
I am afraid to say that there were already a lot of english people who have been very anti-muslim since 9/11 & still haven't changed their attitudes, as though every single muslim was at fault somehow. My husband is english, but he tans very easily, has dark hair & dark eyes so he sometimes gets harrassed around here for being muslim!?!

People are very prejudiced and very ignorant. It's very prejudiced to identify muslims with terrorist and very silly to identify religion with looks, as if all muslims came from the same part of the world.

It would certainly be a big help to the muslim world if many/all of the muslim leaders would stand up in outrage at this type of terrorist activity that is happening in the name of islam. It is very rare that I see any muslim leader, let alone the vast muslim contingent voice serious opposition to these happenings.

I realise that the American press might have something to do with keeping things like this quiet, but there are other news agencies that could report it.

Has anybody read about reactions from Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria.....

I saw that the Iraqi president has made a statement but that's to be expected considering the American and English involvement in his election.

Most of the muslim reactions condeming this type of action are coming from American muslims, like college professors.....at least the ones I'm reading about.

I would like to know if any site is publishing the muslim reactions.....

in the act of self policing, please be careful that this thread, which was started to offer support, and sympathies to our uk members, and a place for them to check in so we know they are safe, does not turn into a potentially heated conversation.
have a heated conversation, just not here where to intent is to be supportive.

*takes off police hat and badge*

I did see some quotes from the muslim community on fox news this morning that did in fact indicate that they were appalled at the violence, especially that against innocent civilians.

Motokid said:
what about your gun...where's the damn gun....what's that in your pocket.....

Her mobile phone, you eejit!

I don't know about the reactions in those countries. I only followed what was happening here and several muslim leaders in the UK condemned the attacks.

I find this an interesting quote:

"Muslims are standing shoulder to

shoulder with their friends in Britain... An attack on London is an attack on all Arabs. London is not only the capital of the Middle East, but also the capital of the free world.

Pan-Arab Al-Sharq al-Awsat, commentary by Adel Darwish"

London is the capital of the Middle East...and the free world ????????

Some of the other quotes denounce the attacks, but then sort of turn back to laying the blaim......

I guess I'd better leave this thread al together for now....I'm glad all our TBF members are safe....or at least hopefull that they all are...

Motokid said:
I
Pan-Arab Al-Sharq al-Awsat, commentary by Adel Darwish"[/I]

London is the capital of the Middle East...and the free world ????????

Maybe the man studied geography here. A few year back they made a survey among adults. When asked to place Britain in a map of the world, over 50% put it in the wrong place. Quite a few thought it was just a few miles from New England.

Great speech, much better than the boring Christmas ones.

I don't know about going to the pub, because we have a street party celebrating the 60th anniversary of the end of ww2.

I truly feel for everyone in London. I know how hard it must be to live in fear. Everyone always says not to live in fear because it's what the terrorist want, but one can't help being afraid to climb on a public bus or an underground subway. Much like I'm terrfied of flying here in the states. Althought I will continue to fly, I'm still reminded daily of the attacks on our country. I can only empathize with those who are afraid. At least now the airport is more secure than ever, but how will the metro systems ever be made secure. Anyone can walk onto a city bus or underground train with a package. There is no x-ray systems screening all of the passengers carry on item. It frightens me just the thought of it. I know however, that the Brits will rise above the pain infliced upon their people ,and I just want everyone over in the UK to know that we back them 100%. My prayers of the prayers of others are with you all.

Justin

Back