• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you pay for gas?

We are seeing record high prices over here as well. But in the last few years the pruchasing power of the average citizen has gone through the roof as well. So the relative price of gas is pretty low at the moment for us.

Motokid said:
and sheep with 30+ gallon gas tanks are not the happiest in the flock huh????? :D

who do you think taught Scrooge to say "BAAAA Humbug??? Hmmm :D

anyway, sheep with 30+ gallon sized tanks get to stay home and hold down the fort in times like these..

I am now seeing prices between $3.00 and $3.10 per gallon. Still not happyville, but relative to last week it's still a trend I don't mind seeing....

All you have to do is drive out to south central Kansas..the paper this morning said gas was down to $2.59 in Wichita.. :cool:

abecedarian said:
All you have to do is drive out to south central Kansas..the paper this morning said gas was down to $2.59 in Wichita.. :cool:

$2.59

man.....that's sweet.....hope I get to see that again....

Ours is now up to $1.35 a litre.

What is bothering me more than anything else is that surely this will have to affect the prices of everything else. Truck drivers will have to pay more for petrol and therefore boost their prices and as the saying goes, "Sh*t flows downhill," so it will all eventually come back to us, the consumer, with higher food prices, etc.

Cut and pasted from my local newspaper:

"Mid-Atlantic drivers pay most for gas
BY STEVEN CHURCH / The News Journal
09/16/2005

Mid-Atlantic commuters finally have something West Coast drivers have long endured: highest-in-the-nation gasoline prices.

Following Hurricane Katrina, drivers in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey saw their prices jump higher than every other state except Georgia, according to the automobile club AAA Mid-Atlantic. And those prices have stubbornly remained higher than the national average even though demand for gasoline has dropped dramatically since the storm."

The story goes on to say that over 70% of the gasoline products that my state uses come from the refinery in our state, and that the oil it refines comes from ships, not the pipelines from the south that were closed by the hurricane.....isn't that wonderful? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Motokid said:
The story goes on to say that over 70% of the gasoline products that my state uses come from the refinery in our state, and that the oil it refines comes from ships, not the pipelines from the south that were closed by the hurricane.....isn't that wonderful? :mad: :mad: :mad:

So what is the difference between Capitalism and price gouging?

$1.68, getting a tadbit better where I live. At last, the price is coming down from the stratosphere. :rolleyes:

You surely don't mean $1.68.....

I found one station, and paid $2.95 today....most in my area are still charging over $3.00....and under $3.10....

Motokid said:
You surely don't mean $1.68.....

I found one station, and paid $2.95 today....most in my area are still charging over $3.00....and under $3.10....

LOL-Right you are Moto, typo on my part. :eek: That would be $2.68. Kind of crazy that I'm beginning to think that's somwhat reasonable. They are working us over good aren't they? :D

leckert said:
So what is the difference between Capitalism and price gouging?

If a burger joint decides to increase the prices of the food they serve by 100% and they still manage to bring in customers and provide them with adequate food and service for the money, that's capitalism.

If every single food serving establishment got together and decided they would all increase the prices of the food they served by 100% for no apparent reason other than because they had the people by the short and curly's since everyone has to eat, that's price gouging.

I know more than a few people who are avoiding increasing costs of natural gas and heating their homes by installing corn-burning stoves. A few bushels that would more than do the job for a month are super cheap. I've also seen a few pick-up drivers here convert to propane powered trucks. Always thought that was kind of interesting-I've counted more than a handful as of late.

I've looked into corn burning stoves a bit....very interesting idea...I imagine there's no shortage of corn in Nebraska either.....

Back