• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which magazines do you read?

I haven't been a magazine reader for a while. Most of the time they were turning me into a consumer. Whatever the content of the magazine was it always made me want to buy stuff. Cycling magazines would lead to wanting bike stuff, photography would lead to buying lenses, etc. I'm easily influenced I suppose. I found when I wasn't reading these mags I was just as happy and spending less. Wired was OK until they turned into a shill. Problem is I'm getting tired of re-reading the same Ikea catalogue in the crapper. So I've been looking out for a mag that won't encourage me to buy stuff I don't need and is interesting. First attempt is gonna be The Walrus.

ions

New Scientist, National Geographic or Scientific American is what you need for the crapper. Not too much consumerism in these.

Although you may end up building an interstellar space ship, an orbital chemical plant to find the cure for cancer, save the whales, stop African drought and power it all by a fusion reactor. So it may cost you a few $$$ anyway.

But it would be worth it :D

just a 'few'

family circle
woman's day
taste of home
quick cooking
real simple
better homes and gardens
country decorating
country home...

I read all the girly magazines and some intellectual ones - but more so the junk ones..it's a guilty pleasure. Here they are:

Cosmopolitan
Vanity Fair
Glamour
Marie Claire
People
US Weekly
Vogue
Economist (sometimes)
Newsweek (Love this one)

im a fisherman so i read improve your coarse fishing alot, if most of u are from the us you wont know wot im on about

Peder said:
Zippo. Nada. Zilch. Null. None :eek:
I do the local hometown newspaper -- NYT.
Peder

Quite the "local" paper there Peder. If you want to see the real definition for local, click here. :D

SFG75 said:
Quite the "local" paper there Peder. If you want to see the real definition for local, click here. :D
SFG,
Yes, well, I guess I should have put a smiley on my somewhat tongue-in- cheek remark :)
But it does have a local news section as well, so it is not bad as a 'hometown' paper in addition to all its other pretensions. :rolleyes:

I see you have a Ruby Tuesdays now. I think we have one of them in Times Square. Location, location, location! :)
Peder

LOL-yes, if Ruby Tuesdays comes to town, it's "major" news-right up there with hurricanes and whether or not some farmer rolls his tractor.
th_crylaugh.gif

SFG75 said:
LOL-yes, if Ruby Tuesdays comes to town, it's "major" news-right up there with hurricanes and whether or not some farmer rolls his tractor.
th_crylaugh.gif
SFG,
I wasn't going to say that. I wasn't! :rolleyes:
Peder

Slowly but surely I'm falling in love with The Economist. I also read bits of Nature online (the free bits, that is!).

I read Playboy frequently as the other half has a subscription (which I bought him 2 years running as a christmas present). If you've never actually picked up a Playboy magazine, you may be suprised just how intelligently written and interesting the articles and interviews are. Sure there's some tits and bums, but the photographs are more 'art' than smut.

I also enjoy fitness magazines, although many of them just rehash the same ideas over and over - a bit like Cosmo and their '101 ways to turn on a man', which is written in a different way every issue. As much as I get a giggle out of Cosmo and other similar chick magazines, I can't justify $5 to get 50% ads, 10% product reviews for things I'll never buy, 25% recycled romance advice, and maybe 15% that is actually entertaining to read.

Back