• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

opinions on goats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the goats that fall over spontaneously. :)

Why are we discussing goats though?

those are mytonic or fainting goats, they only fall over when scared because their muscules contract or something and i started this thread because i love goat and want to know what other people think of them

According to Stephen Fry on some QI episode the fainting goats were used to protect sheep: the shepherds would have several fainting goats among the sheep and if a wolf came the goat would faint, the wolf would eat it and the sheep would get away. Something like that.

According to Stephen Fry on some QI episode the fainting goats were used to protect sheep: the shepherds would have several fainting goats among the sheep and if a wolf came the goat would faint, the wolf would eat it and the sheep would get away. Something like that.

That seems like an efficient way to remove that particular "feature" from the gene pool.

those are mytonic or fainting goats, they only fall over when scared because their muscules contract or something and i started this thread because i love goat and want to know what other people think of them

I think they're tasty when properly prepared.

When I was about 10 years old, my parents got a goat for Easter. It arrive about a week before Easter and it stayed in the back yard grazing. The day of the slaughter, all the neighborhood kids came to watch. Some parents too. The goat was hoisted up by it's hind legs and my dad slit it's throat and collected its blood in a pot to make blood sausage with later. After it was dead, he skinned it and began to butcher it. We shared some of the meat with neighbors but my mom wanted the head. She made a soup out of it and kept the eyes for herself, which was perfectly fine by me. Nowadays I'd certainly give it a try but being your typical 10 year old, no amount of persuading could get me to try the blood sausage.

That seems like an efficient way to remove that particular "feature" from the gene pool.

Not if you breed them with that particular feature... at least not as long as not every goat gets eaten. There's not much natural selection going on with farm animals.

Blood sausage is delicious, btw. Though I've never tried the goat one. Goats Head Soup is a pretty good Stones album too.

So if I buy 10 cans of goat meat and dent them slightly before putting them in the cupboard, then wait a couple of days before I open the cupboard again, will I get attacked by 10 small goats or will they merge into one freakish supergoat?

There would be one really fat goat.

We had goats when I was growing up. I helped one give birth once. I used to ride another like a horse... I was pretty small at the time. :)

Is "scapegoat" derived from "goat," and if so, why is the goat so maligned?

Online Etymology Dictionary - scapegoat

1530, "goat sent into the wilderness on the Day of Atonement, symbolic bearer of the sins of the people," coined by Tyndale from scape (n.) + goat, to translate L. caper emissarius, a mistranslation in Vulgate of Heb. 'azazel (Lev. xvi:8,10,26), which was read as 'ez ozel "goat that departs," but is actually the proper name of a devil or demon in Jewish mythology (sometimes identified with Canaanite deity Aziz). Jerome's mistake also was followed by Martin Luther (der ledige Bock), Symmachus (tragos aperkhomenos), and others (cf. Fr. bouc émissaire). The Revised Version (1884) restores Azazel. Meaning "one who is blamed or punished for the mistakes or sins of others" first recorded 1824; the verb is attested from 1943.

In a small town in Spain, a goat is tossed from the top of a tower and the village people catch it with a tarp. In recent times, the event has been cancelled.

During the festival of St. Vincent, the patron saint of Manganeses de la Polvorosa, a goat is thrown from the town's bell tower and caught in a tarp held by villagers.

The ritual reenacts a legend of a goat that belonged to a priest and its milk was given to the poor. One day the goat fell from the tower but was saved by villagers holding a blanket.

In a small town in Spain, a goat is tossed from the top of a tower and the village people catch it with a tarp. In recent times, the event has been cancelled.

Isn't is amazing what smalltown folks will do for entertainment?

Wait til this town discovers city-wide garage sales:D

Wait til this town discovers city-wide garage sales:D

I predict it will go fine until someone tosses out the solid oak dresser.:eek:

On another note, goats are also a great solution to a city's problems.

A possible solution? Goats!

The city buys a lot of goats. Goats will eat about anything, so if they are staked out on the rights-of-way they will keep the weeds and grasses down to acceptable levels. Goats will also take care of all that trash along the rights-of-way. Now, you ask, who will take care of the goats? A person doesn't need a college degree to be a goat herder so how about we take inmates out of the county-supported free room and board program, and make them serve as our goat herders. When the growing season is over, sometime in October, the city could sponsor a Goat Fest. We have every other kind of festival so a Goat Fest would add yet another reason to get out in public and drink beer. Plus, we butcher those goats at season's end, serve them at the Goat Fest, charge a few dollars a plate, plus city sales tax, of course, and with the revenue we fix the streets. Tulsa could become the goat capital of the world. It does have a ring.
Oklahoma letter to the editor

Take care of the environment, mow the grass, and then eat them. For some reason, I don't think goatgoatgoat would appreciate that last item. Perhaps we could put them in retirement houses and bring them miles of astroturf to munch on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back