• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pictures of your book collection

Finally got a picture of my meagre book collection:

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d45_MonkeCatcher_IMGA0384.jpg

And for those playing at home, I got a few close-ups of the shelves so that you can see a bit of the books I have:

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d45_MonkeCatcher_IMGA0388.jpg
ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d45_MonkeCatcher_IMGA0389.jpg
ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d45_MonkeCatcher_IMGA0390.jpg

Sorry about the horrible quality - the pictures were taken with a video camera, so obviously were never going to turn out fabulous. Some of the spines should be recognisable at least. I have about 10 other books out on loan at the moment also.

Nice collection MC, I like the plant at the top, it certainly *naturalizes* the collection and compliments it very well.:)

Monkeycatcher - nice. I see you probably have the full Diana Gabaldon collection...

Did you manage to read Wild Swans?

ds

SFG75 said:
Nice collection MC, I like the plant at the top, it certainly *naturalizes* the collection and compliments it very well.:)
It's a bit unhealthy actually - it hasn't been watered in a good month now :eek: Notice how it droops? :D

ds said:
Monkeycatcher - nice. I see you probably have the full Diana Gabaldon collection...

Did you manage to read Wild Swans?
I do - glad you noticed :D My copy of A Breath of Snow and Ashes is with a friend at the moment, though. I haven't got around to Wild Swans yet, no, but it's on my top 5 list (at the moment anyway ;) )

I have that on my shelf too. The thinking behind it is that if some book-thieves break into my house, they'll take one look and assume I have nothing of value. They will then go. Possibly leaving behind some book-tokens, and a list of recommendations out of pity.

Lovely pics, Monkey Catcher. I see you've got a couple of Philippa Gregory there? Have you read them? What are they like?

And anyone with Bill Bryson in their bookshelves must be very cool ;)

daryl? said:
I have that on my shelf too. The thinking behind it is that if some book-thieves break into my house, they'll take one look and assume I have nothing of value. They will then go. Possibly leaving behind some book-tokens, and a list of recommendations out of pity.
I'm stocking my shelves with multiple copies of Dan Brown.

Will the book thieves replace them with Nabokovs? I'd leave them some fruitcake too.

ds

No, you're thinking of the book-fairies, for which fruit cake is entirely acceptable. The discerning book-thief simply would not go near any Dan Brown.

There are no undiscerning book-thieves. Only accidents waiting to happen.

daryl? said:
No, you're thinking of the book-fairies, for which fruit cake is entirely acceptable. The discerning book-thief simply would not go near any Dan Brown.

There are no undiscerning book-thieves. Only accidents waiting to happen.
Unacceptable. Why would your book thieves leave book recommendations but mine won't swap Dan Browns with Nabokovs?

Books thieves these days... such snobs.

ds

MC, your collection may be small, but it's not meagre. You've got a lot of good authors on there. I remember you joining way back and saying that you had very few books, but were trying to buy more. It looks like you've been adding away and making good purchases. Plus, I bet you've read almost every one of those books, something those of us with zillions of books simply can't claim.

MonkeyCatcher said:
It's a bit unhealthy actually - it hasn't been watered in a good month now :eek: Notice how it droops? :D

It looks like a spider plant though. They're almost impossible to kill, so I'm sure it will perk back up whenever you decide to water it. Unless you're sick of it and just want it to die (that's where my spider plants went to).

direstraits said:
Unacceptable. Why would your book thieves leave book recommendations but mine won't swap Dan Browns with Nabokovs?

Oh, they'll happily leave a recommendation for some Nabakov with the tokens, just don't expect them to go taking away your Dan Browns for you. Leave that to the proper authorities.

Books thieves these days... such snobs.

ds

I know. I yearn for the days when they were illiterate yokels, but we must move with the times. ;)

Stewart said:
What's that piece of crap between the Atwood and the Bryson?
Ah.. that's my.. sister's...

steffee said:
I see you've got a couple of Philippa Gregory there? Have you read them? What are they like?
I have read one of the two on my shelves - The Queen's Fool - and it was absolutely brilliant. I have two more which are being lent out, and they are also fantastic. I thoroughly recommend you read The Other Boleyn Girl it's really, really good :)

mehastings said:
Plus, I bet you've read almost every one of those books, something those of us with zillions of books simply can't claim.
I've actually only read about half - I keep buying them about 2-3 at a time and joining bookrings as well so I'm a bit overstocked on books at the moment. Nowhere near as bad as most of the members on here, though, so you're right in a way :)

mehastings said:
It looks like a spider plant though. They're almost impossible to kill, so I'm sure it will perk back up whenever you decide to water it. Unless you're sick of it and just want it to die (that's where my spider plants went to).
Hehe yup, it is a spider plant. It has done what you have just described before, so I hope that it can do it again. It got its first watering today, so I'll let you know how its going :p

Back