• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

James Ellroy, The Big Nowhere :star4: +

Woah. The LA Quartet continues to bowl me over. I read the last 150 pages in one sitting.

The Art of Immersion, Frank Rose. Quite worth reading if you're interested in how both storytelling and marketing have changed and may continue to change over the last 15 years thanks to the digital revolution, though I would have liked some more background and some more conclusions.

I finished reading Atonement by Ian McEwan for the second time and I'm struck again by McEwan's storytelling ability. The character's accounts really grab you emotionally. Never has a book actually made me feel something for people in a story.

Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson :star4:

Really enjoyed it. Set amongst the forests,lakes,and fjords of Norway in both the present day and 1948,it's one of those voyages of discovery weaving between darkness and light,with some beautiful imagery.

The Post-American World; Fareed Zakaria :star4:

The Grand Design; Stephen Hawking :star4:

I really hit the jack pot with these books, two of the better picks that I've read at the same time.

Leif Panduro, Kick Me In The Traditions (Denmark) :star3:

Black comedy from 1958 that lands somewhere between Catcher In The Rye and A Confederacy Of Dunces. I don't particularly like either of those books. But not without merit.

The Stalin Epigram by Robert Littell :star5:

I read the better part of the last half in one sitting. Couldn't put it down even though I knew what was going to happen.

Stalin's 1930's Russia brought alive in all it's terrifying horror through a poet's eyes. Ye Gods, how did anyone live through it? :sad:

Flod (River), the debut by Swedish author Carolina Fredriksson. Short, hypnotic novel about two kids living under a bridge after Something has happened to their world. Somewhere between The Road and Grave Of The Fireflies, occasionally overwritten prose notwithstanding. :star4:

Just finished: Millennium People by J.G. Ballard. I didn't think it was one of his best efforts, although it got rave reviews. The biggest weakness was that Ballard didn't have a resolution to the " middle-class " problem. He just gave up at the novel's end.
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

Back